We are looking for a candidate to join the team at BeFC to lead the development of printed supercapacitor technology. This position focuses on the development of new electrode materials, electrolytes, and electrolyte additives to improve the overall performance (capacitance, energy density, and low/high-temperature properties, degradability & ecotoxicity).
The refinement of themanufacturing aspects of the electrodes and supercapacitors components (separators, packaging, electrolyte) will also need to be taken into consideration.Work will cover product development, process development, characterisation, experimental reports, etc. with our multidisciplinary teams.
The post holder will be line managed by the Innovation Manager and will work closely with staff across different projects.
A limited supervision of students may be required, however there is no expectation from the post holder to perform staff managerial duties.
BeFC encourage and support the personal and professional development of our staff.
Individual development needs will be identified through a regular review process.
Although based in the BeFC campus facilities, the job may at times involve working in any of the other BeFC facilities.
Lifting and handling of heavy equipment may occasionally be required, lifting aids will be provided where appropriate.
Contact with chemicals will be part of the job and personal protective equipment will be provided.
From time to time, the post holder may be asked to assist with Continuing Professional Development (CPD) activities. This will form part of a substantive role and no additional payment for these activities should be expected.
The successful candidate will have a strong scientific interest and desire to develop expertise insupercapacitive materials and associated characterisation and production processes.
1) Develop new electrode materials, electrolytes, and electrolyte additives to improve the overall performance (capacitance, energy density, and low/high-temperature properties) of supercapacitors.
2) Refine manufacturing aspects of the electrode and supercapacitors.
3) Deliver clear and concise written and oral presentation of data, analysis, and internal/external reports.
4) Communicate with the industrial partners to update progress, receive guidance on new assignments, make preliminary selections on technical alternatives, and independently complete recurring assignments.
5) Data analysis and processing
6) Creation of technical reports
7) Mentor junior students in both technical and safety matters
8) Compliance with statutory and company regulations/protocols
Have completed a relevant Ph.D. (e.g., in materials science, electrochemistry, or polymer chemistry) within the last 5 years.
Graduate from a Masters degree program in material / polymer chemistry.
Technical aptitude in a laboratory environment, including electrode materials synthesis, fabrication, supercapacitor assembly, electrochemical characterisation techniques, experimental setup and operation
Carbon/metal oxide electrode materials, liquid electrolytes, and solidelectrolytes for supercapacitors
Supercapacitor pouch cell assembly and testing
Enjoy laboratory-based work and take pride in the quality of results and documentation
Organised and rigorous
Proactive, versatile and able to work autonomously
Translate complex and innovative ideas into clear, logical and technically accurate documents/presentations
Knowledge about bio-based and biodegradable materials
Experience in membrane/film development
Experience in printing
Knowledge in packaging
Understanding of English language, both written and oral